Sicily is exploding in the wine world as the destination of new Italian classics (and also quite literally- Mount Etna on the eastern coast of the island is the tallest active volcano in Europe). Sicily’s Etna DOC, the first to established on the island in 1968, is now being celebrated after years of obscurity. Join us for an immersive tasting tour of the wines of Sicily.
In this intimate discussion-based workshop we will discuss the major wine regions of the island, identify the major indigenous grapes grown, and explore Sicily's rich winemaking history. Along the way, we’ll taste a flight of wines from this region that demonstrate the unique influence of volcanic soil and maritime climate of this Mediterranean island, alongside a light spread of regional cheeses and charcuterie.
Guests will receive:
- Learn basic tasting method for wines
- Explore through tasting, the flavor profile of Sicilian wines
- Receive an overview of geographical production areas
- Gain familiarity with major grape varieties
- Understand the history of wine production in the region, and how Sicily has been impacted by local and global trends
- One welcome beverage
- Six tasting pours of selected wines
- Two hours of instruction, including time for Q&A with the listed Astor Center presenter
- Access to our state of the art tasting facility