Eastern Europe, the historical birthplace of wine, is reemerging as a powerhouse region to watch. Offering everything from sparkling wines, to floral whites, to funky orange wines, to light reds, to dessert wines, there is something for everyone.
Join us as we taste through a flight of wines, focusing on the indigenous grapes and typical expressions in Austria, Georgia, Slovenia, Croatia, and Hungary. We’ll also explore the history of winemaking and the unusual techniques used in the production of these wines. You’ll walk away with a better understanding of how to select Eastern European wines, how to decipher their names and labels, and why they should have a permanent place in your drinking repertoire.
Guests Will Receive:
- A brief historical background to provide context for these wine styles.
- An overview of the different and unique production techniques used.
- A deeper look at the different styles represented in the region: sparkling, white, orange, red, and dessert.
- An exploration, through tasting, of the flavor profile of each of these wines styles.
- An education as to how to read labels and select wines based on your preferences.
- One welcome wine.
- Six tasting pours of Eastern European wines.
- Palate-cleansing bread and cheese.
- Two hours of education, including time for Q&A with an Astor Center instructor.
- Access to our state-of-the-art tasting facility.
- Sparkling Welcome Wine (Austria)
- White (Slovenia)
- White (Austria)
- Orange Wine (Georgia)
- Red (Austria)
- Red (Austria)
- Dessert (Hungary)